Wednesday, April 02, 2008

To Flush, or Not To Flush

Oscar and I have discovered that we have had very similar experiences growing up in Bakersfield, but in completely different ways. For example, his family dynamics are very different from mine. His parents divorced, he moved several times, etc. My parents are still married and I lived in the same house until I moved out at the age of 20. But, we both still remember the saying all good parents taught their kids in the 1970s during the drought. “If its Brown flush it down, if it’s Yellow let it mellow.” If you don’t know what that means you didn’t grown up in Bakersfield.

The funny thing is, we both still do it. It’s wasteful to flush every single time you go to the bathroom. Flushing every other time saves a lot of water. (You just have to be mindful when company is coming over.) My best friend DD (who also grew up here) doesn’t flush every time either.

So tell me, what’s in your toilet bowl?