Thursday, November 18, 2004

Feeling Foggy

The fogged rolled in Tuesday and the sun went away till next spring. My mood went right along with it. You hear people complain about the heat in Bakersfield, but I’m telling you, as a 37 year resident, it’s the winters that really suck. There is literally no discernable difference between the gray asphalt streets and the color of the sky. The cold is bitter and damp and it permeates through walls and layers of clothing. There is nothing fun to look at - no rain, no snow. In fact there is nothing to look at all once the Tule fog covers the valley and limits visibility to just a few inches beyond your nose. Suddenly I find myself not wanting to get out of bed in the morning. Three cups of coffee does not stop me from yawning all morning at work. I sit in a daze, work piling up around me, dreaming of taking a nap during my lunch hour. I don’t want to go anywhere. I don’t want to do anything. I just want to sleep, to hibernate.

I’ll take temperatures of 103 any day over this.