Friday, January 28, 2005

Things change


photo © The Waist High Collection

It’s been raining most of the day and I’ve been watching it through the window while I blog my butt off. I thought I should try and get some laundry done so I don’t have to wear the same dirty pants all weekend. As I reached under the bed to gather a stray sock you are not going to believe what I found. I found my 1983 West High Valhalla YEARBOOK. The VERY SAME yearbook Waist High is so joyously embracing in the above photo. Coincidence? I think not. This just happens to be the worst yearbook EVER made. It’s ugly, there are ink spots across all of the senior pictures and it has more spelling errors than this blog!

A Bake Town reader and class of ’96 alumni from Atlanta sent me an email asking if maybe we didn’t have some of the same teachers. Mr. Vettel? Mr. Drath? Mr. Gabbitas? Mr. Switzer? (Espanol). Ms. Ellis? (Counselor). Mr. Zimet? (Physics). Yup – I had a few of those. Mr. Gabbitas was my “On Your Own” teacher and I was sitting in his class watching TV when the space shuttle blew up. I sat right next to Brian Adams and he was really cute and I got to marry him. We used to tell creepy stories about Mr. Vettel and say he shot heroin, but we really shouldn’t talk bad about him cuz I think he passed away (or is he just sick?) and he really was a great teacher. Mr. Drath was crazy awesome and I’ll never forget his bug-eyed stares. Oh yeah… I did have Mr. Switzer. I don’t remember him much cuz I think Flo had that class with me.

Finally, my new friend in Atlanta also told me this…Back in 1996, “we didn't call it Waste High.”

That thud you just heard was W.H. falling off her chair.