Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Hot Sludge Fun Day

There’s been a big stink going on lately about L.A.’s sludge dumping in Kern County. I blogged on this topic on 8/1/04, but I can no longer link directly to the post because Waist High threatened me with bodily harm if I did not change my comments forum to please her.

Anyway…some of you may have noticed how passionate folks get around here when they feel like Bako is being put down or made fun of. People not from Bakersfield are equally zealous in their desire to put down and make fun. So, it’s easy to see how this sludge issue has really got people nutted up.

The “Letters” section in the paper is full of people writing in to complain about Kern County becoming L.A’s toilet. We already have enough toilet references associated with this city, thank you very much. Don Maben, 2nd District Supervisor, insists it is not that bad and that Senator Dean Florez is wrong in demanding L.A. stop the flow of sludge. One local reader attacked Maben by calling him a “L.A. transplant.” Ooooo – that’s a low blow.

Now, I’m no expert in this area, but it seems to me if this sludge stuff was in any way desirable A) L.A. would not be so anxious to bring it here and B) it would be called “fudge” not “sludge.”